Mark is a Partner of DaHui’s Dispute Resolution, Venture Capital/Private Equity and Corporate/M&A practice groups. Mark has developed a unique legal practice, being deeply involved in all stages of investments and corporate transactions, from negotiations, due diligence and contract drafting to dispute resolution.
In his dispute resolution practice, Mark has represented numerous clients on their international commercial arbitration cases under various arbitration rules (including HKIAC, ICC, UNCITRAL and CIETAC) and seated in numerous jurisdictions (including Hong Kong, the PRC and Singapore). Through these cases, he has gained extensive experience managing complex commercial arbitrations, drafting pleadings, and conducting oral advocacy and cross-examination.
Mark also frequently advises Chinese and international clients on their investments in the U.S. and China. Mark particularly excels at managing cross-border transactions involving multiple jurisdictions, closely liaising with local counsel in various countries to provide seamless services to close complex deals.
Mark’s recent representations include:
International Commercial Arbitration and Dispute Resolution
- Represented a major Chinese state-owned contractor against a Singaporean subcontractor arising from the construction of a water plant in Oman (UNCITRAL Rules, Hong Kong seat, England & Wales law)
- Represented a major international hotel management company against a Chinese hotel owner, winning a favorable award within six months as the first Asia-Pacific case to use the ICC Expedited Procedure (ICC Expedited Rules, Hong Kong seat, PRC law)
- Represented a large PRC investment fund in debt dispute of over USD200 million (HKIAC Rules, Hong Kong seat, New York law)
- Represented a major Chinese contractor against an Indonesian owner with respect to the construction of a coal power plant in Indonesia (Ad hoc arbitration, Singapore seat, Indonesian law)
- Advised a major Chinese contractor in a dispute arising out of the construction of a coal power plant in Brazil (SCC Rules, Sweden seat, Brazilian law)
- Represented a domestic electric vehicle motor company against a European claimant in a dispute arising out of a long-term supply agreement (ICC Rules, Hong Kong seat, PRC law)
- Represented an international investor to enforce a redemption clause against a Chinese hi-tech company (HKIAC Rules, Hong Kong seat, PRC law)
- Represented an international investor to enforce a put option agreement against a company founder (HKIAC Rules, Hong Kong seat, Hong Kong law)
- Represented an entrepreneur in a dispute with an investor over repayment of a loan (HKIAC Rules, Hong Kong seat, Hong Kong law)
- Represented a leading multinational exhibition company against a Chinese individual in a dispute arising out of a non-compete agreement (HKIAC Rules, Hong Kong seat, Hong Kong law)
- Advised the founders of a Chinese pharmaceutical start-up on their dispute with its lead investor
- Advised a leading global learning and entertainment company regarding a dispute over its Chinese joint venture
- Advised a leading Chinese investor on its dispute with its joint venture partner in the wearable electronics market
- Advised Tencent Holdings on numerous VC investments in the Chinese Internet sector
- Advised Viva Biotech Limited, a leading Chinese CRO, on several investments in early-stage biotech companies in the U.S. and Canada, developing a unique model in which equity is issued in exchange for cash and for clinical research services
- Advised Source Code Capital on numerous VC investments
- Advised Sumscope on its Series D financing
- Advised LUN Partners on its Series A investment in MFS Africa Limited, and represented MFS Africa Limited on its Series B financing
- Advised LUN Partners on a series on venture capital investments in the U.S.
- Advised numerous PRC investors on their early-stage VC investments in the U.S. and China
- Advised MFS Africa Limited on its 100% acquisition of the US-based Beyonic Inc., including its subsidiaries in Uganda, Tanzania, Kenya and Rwanda
- Advised Genesis Capital with respect to the merger of Momo and Tantan, the two leading dating apps in China
- Advised SingEx, the leading exhibition organizer in Singapore, on its acquisition of WorldEx from an Italian exhibition company
- Advised Reed Exhibitions on several acquisitions and joint ventures with Chinese exhibition owners
- Represented Tencent Holdings Limited on its joint investment with Hillhouse in Aviva Hong Kong, a life insurance company
- Advised Anji Pharmaceutical on its in-license of the global development rights of Metformin DR